where i'm coming from

Starting a blog in 2021 feels funny to me but I find the OSR and story game movements very inspiring and I want to contribute to the ways that people create games. 

I've been a tabletop game player for a long time, starting with the AD&D boxed set when I was kid, 3e-5e, Powered by the Apocalypse, Micro Rpgs, FFG Star Wars among others. 

I feel committed to building tabletop experiences where players have agency in worldbuilding and world building is done collaboratively, grounded in my experience in devised theater and other collaborative art forms. 

I see this as a place where I can report back on games I'm running, share things I'm creating as GM aids, and talk about games. I'm a relatively new GM and see this as a way to talk about my GMing journey.


Things I'm reading about

Things I'm working on
  • I'm trying to build a town builder play aid based on a less grim idea of the urban than some of the city builders I've seen out there.
  • My online Spelljammer 5E homebrew game that's 4 sessions in right now 

Here's the point crawl (with spoilers) that my players started working through last session for a sector in space. This is the first point crawl I've ever made. 

Reedio Towers are large radio towers that are sentient warforged that we've created for our game. This particular Reedio, B33T is an older unit and has a longterm resident/partner named Jacques Doraque, a half orc inn keeper essentially who is a retired soldier. Working through RP has helped the players reveal points within the sector to visit (not everything revealed here). 

The next session is tonight, and Jacques will be kidnapped by the main antagonist of this section of space, a necromancer with some Bene Gesserit flavor who has taken residence in an ancient battlefield to build an army to defend herself from an ancient science cult that scientifically enhanced her and is now hunting her. She lives in a titanic monster skull that she has fashioned into a Spelljammer and is riddled with undead. There are many potential allies and ways they can attempt a rescue if they so choose, and dire consequences for this sector if they do not. I'm curious what they will do in this situation. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building an Interesting World through NPCs

The Grinding Wheels of Disorder: A Method for Managing Factions and Their Moves

The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place: Creating Complex Tone In Your Adventures